Friday, July 2, 2010

Progress

The wheel had me a bit confused so went in for a little lesson. I found out that my biggest problem was speed. I was going way too fast in the feet and way too slow in the hands. I needed to learn to relax and let it flow.

So I've been working my way through 4oz. of a lovely braid in yellows, greens and blues. Some days are better than others. I have not yet tried plying so we'll see what I get when I start trying to make a well balanced yarn.

Many of the podcasts I listen to have spinning segments in them and the podcasters often name their wheels. I thought long and hard tried out a few and may have settled on Monty. So in a bit Monty and I are going for a little spin.

This past Saturday was WoolFest at LakeFarm Park and I bough more wool, some lovely mohair and Margaret. Margaret, to put it bluntly, is going to be a problem child. Margret is a large garbage bag stuffed full of black and white smelly wooly goodness.
I tried my hand at cleaning the fleece, one word, yuckers!

I think I need to do a bit more skirting before I try to clean more of her. I just tried to to a portion of the bag and wow, the first bucket of water was more mud than water. The second bucket, brown water, the third bucket was pretty clear but she's still full of veggie matter and some unknown, ha, brown bits.

Looking forward to introducing Monty to Margaret, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment